The text below has been published on the Brazilian PlayStation Blog.
The world’s first major software update for the PS5 console system will be released tomorrow, bringing new features and improvements. Our team is excited to improve your PlayStation experience in every way possible. Here’s a glimpse of what’s coming on the PS5, PS4, and PlayStation app:
Manage storage and expansion on PS5
- Store PS5 games on compatible external USB drives. * With this feature, you can transfer your PS5 games from internal console storage to extended USB storage. This is a great way to expand the storage capabilities of your PS5 console, and you can copy your games back to your internal storage whenever you want to play. It’s faster to reinstall PS5 games via USB extended storage than downloading or burning them from a disc again.
- Since PS5 games are designed to take advantage of an ultrafast SSD load, PS5 titles cannot be played directly from USB extended storage. It also cannot download PS5 titles directly to USB extended storage. But the games that you transfer or copy back to your internal storage will be automatically updated, as and when required. Additionally, you can select the game modes you want to install (such as campaign or multiplayer) from titles compatible with this option.
- For tips on using your PS5 USB extended storage, including storage device requirements, visit http://www.microsoft.com/en/software/package/ Our support page.
Depending We already announcedIn the future, the PS5 console will support storage expansion by M.2 modules. We are currently working on this feature and will keep you updated on the latest developments on the blog.
New social features for PS4 and PS5 consoles
- Share gameplay between generations. PS4 and PS5 players can now use Share Play together while chatting in groups. This means PS5 console users can let their friends using their PS4 consoles watch the game screen or even test PS5 games through Share Play, and vice versa. Options include the ability to share a screen with a friend, virtually swipe your console to a friend, or virtually swipe a second console to play co-op games together.
- Request to participate in a game session. A selection of the game sessions that your friends can participate in will now appear on the PS4 and PS5 consoles, providing more opportunities to play together. The Request Share option also works as a shortcut to send a game invite, reducing the time needed to enter games with friends. In the privacy settings menu, you can edit who can interact with you in groups, games and messages.
Improved customization and control options for PS5 controllers
- Improved game base. The Game Base menu has been improved to provide faster access to important content and resources. You can now easily switch between groups and friends to start chatting with existing groups or see what each of your friends want online. Additionally, you can enable or disable notifications for each of the groups in which you participate.
- Disable in-game chat or adjust player volume. You can now quickly disable in-game chat, turning off microphone and other players’ audio. In addition, it is possible to easily adjust the individual volume of voice chat for other players in the same chat, rather than having to ask each of your friends to decrease or increase the microphone volume.
- Pre-download game updates. After being released by the developers, game title updates will be previously downloaded to the console, if the Automatic Updates setting is enabled and the console is turned on or in sleep mode. This will allow you to start playing the latest version of the game as soon as the update is released.
- Customize the game library. With the ability to search your library or hide games, it is now easy to find content and customize the display of your game library.
- Screen enlargement. You can now adjust the screen magnification according to your preference in the settings menu.
- New trophy settings and stats screen. The level of rewards that result in an automatic screenshot or video clip can be customized, so now you can choose to capture and save only photos / videos from the moments when you win higher-level prizes, such as Gold or Platinum. We’ll also launch the new Player Cup stats screen, where you can check your trophy level summary and status at a glance.
New features for the PlayStation app
We are also launching several new features for the PlayStation app, to make it easier to connect remotely to your console experience. We recently introduced the ability to save products to wishlist, receive notifications when your friends are online, and change console status online. In the coming weeks, we will release more new features, such as the ability to enter a multiplayer session for PS5 through the app, manage PS5 console storage, compare prize pools with friends, and sort and filter products offered on the PlayStation Store. You can download the PlayStation app for free from Google Play and the App Store.
This is just the start of many of the updates and improvements we’ve made to the PS5, PS4 and the PS app, so take a look and let us know what you think!
* For external USB drive compatibility requirements visit Our support page.
“Incurable thinker. Food aficionado. Subtly charming alcohol scholar. Pop culture advocate.”