Lodi Valley News.com

Complete News World

Derecho wreaks havoc on America and leaves the sky green

Derecho wreaks havoc on America and leaves the sky green

A weather phenomenon called ok On July 5, 2022, it struck the Great Plains and the US Midwest. In addition to the destruction, the force of the wind caused flooding from South Dakota to Iowa and turned the sky green. There was a drop A giant hailstormComparable to a baseball, and The wind speed was 159 kmph in cities in South Dakota.

This event caused Major damage In the corn growing areas of Crooks County, South Dakota. According to data from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), South Dakota has received between 50 mm and 255 mm of rain in the past 5 days. But before the storm, residents said the sky had turned green.

But after all! What happened in South Dakota? Let’s explain what a derego phenomenon is and what a green sky is.

Which one is right?

ok As an adverb “straight” or “straight”, a Spanish word meaning “straight, straight forward”. Incidentally, the word Tornado comes from Spanish and means “to return”.

ok, in meteorology, a type of squall line having a curved shape. A squall line is an organized collection of cumulonimbus clouds that move together and, at the same time, bring storms and storm fronts (wind). Terreco’s storms may linger.

Photo: Climatetempo

The detailed color bar represents a perfect rain in South Dakota on 7/5/2022

oh ok Usually causes more damage than a hurricane and its destruction occurs in a straight line wherever the system moves. Its damage production range is over 400 km, but it can reach 650 km. Very strong winds usually exceed 100 km/h.

See also  Congress urges US to help Ukraine's healthcare system

The The derego phenomenon is not common in South Dakota, compared to the rest of the United States. The event occurred through a cold front associated with a tropical cyclone.

In the United States, 70% of terricos occur between May and August (warm season). The other 30% occurs during winter.

Photo: Climatetempo

Climate of the exact event in the United States (source NOAA)

Strange green sky

Green or green skies usually come from very severe weather, but that doesn’t mean a right or a tornado is coming. According to studies, there is no direct connection between the two events.

The causes of green skies are not fully understood. But If there is a severe storm during the day with a red lightDuring sunset, for example, water particles in the air, especially in the cloud, can interact with this light and turn the sky slightly green.

Orange and red in the sky

We can explain the orange and red tones in the sky by the thickness of the atmospheric layer that sunlight must pass through.

The lower atmosphere near the horizon contains dust particles and other pollutants that interact with sunlight and “cast” orange and red colors during sunset or sunrise. It is during these times that the sun’s rays reach the Earth’s surface at an angle and must pass through this highly polluted atmosphere. These orange and red tones are often seen.

Strange green sky

Green or green skies usually come from more severe weather, but that doesn’t mean new is on the way. ok Or a hurricane. According to studies, there is no direct connection between the two events.

See also  The United Kingdom has already delivered 90 million doses. There are 140 more deaths

you The causes of green skies are not fully understood. But if there’s a strong storm with red light during the day, like at sunset, for example, water particles in the air, especially in a cloud, can interact with that light and turn the sky slightly green.

When we have a storm during this time of sunset or sunrise, the sunlight simultaneously interacts with the raindrops and dust particles that leave the storm cloud, creating snow and red tones. It is in the combination of these interactions that an electromagnetic resonance favorable to the green tone can occur.